We have many things to take care of when it comes to our bodies. We know there are pretty important things to keep in mind. However, one seldom cares about one’s toenails. You probably even look at it only when you are late for your next pedicure appointment.
That is when you really wonder why your toenail looks dirtier or probably shabbier than it should. But researchers suggest maintaining toe health is more vital than you would ever think. This blog will give you a brief understanding of what toenail discoloration would mean for your overall health.
How Should The Toenails Of A Healthy Person Be?
In a fully healthy person, toenails would be as clear as fingernails. Any deviation to this shade can indicate a major health problem ranging from simple infections to Cancer.
It usually mirrors the blood flow inside the muscle on the nail. To have healthy toe nails one must take care of the footwear they are using. It should be feet-friendly and include ample space for the toes to wiggle freely.
Secondly, one must keep your feet dry at all times especially during rainy days or after a long day at the office, make sure to wash your feet and pat them dry. Lastly, you should avoid getting your feet wet in unhealthy water sources. Don’t immerse them fully until you are sure of their quality. This can save your toes from getting infected.
Different Colours And Their Significance
If you are someone who pays very little attention to your nails then chances are you will be subjected to a toenail color change mentioned as follows-
- Yellow Is A Dirty Fellow – This is one of the common discolorations most people experience and therefore the reason is as simple as that. It means nail fungus is the culprit. Usually, this one attacks our Mother-Toenails and gradually progresses if left untreated. An antifungal cream in the beginning phase would do the trick. To avoid it altogether keep them as healthy as you can.
- Black Means Trouble – Black and blue nails. It is similar to getting a black eye after getting punched. The blood under the nails coagulates and causes discoloration. To avoid this try walking carefully. In most serious cases, however, it is even known to be a symptom of skin cancer.
- Green Doesn’t Always Mean Envy – Though all the above cases can cause this anomaly, the majority of this one is caused by a skin infection that gradually progresses from one color to another.
3 Major Toenail Health Signs
Toenail care is an important part of keeping your feet healthy. The state of our toenails can tell us a lot about our health, but they often go unnoticed.
It is possible to catch problems with our toenails in their earliest stages if we pay attention to the warning indications.
▶️ Nail Discoloration
As mentioned before, if your nail starts losing its color it is maybe time that you consult a doctor or do the needful.
▶️ The Shape Of The Toenails
Apart from their color, the toenails also have a unique shape to them and any deviation in this can mean something serious. For instance, if your toenail has become rounded around the edges, then chances are you might have a lung infection, cardiovascular defect, or stomach troubles.
▶️ Pain In The Toes
This is the most obvious sign and this definitely means you should consider going to a doctor.
If your big toe bears most of the brunt for it, this would mean that you are suffering from rheumatic diseases like gout. That doesn’t mean the pain in other ones should be taken as seriously. This can range from infection to an underlying major disease.
Poor Health Of Toenails: Causes
A number of causes can be attributed to the poor health of toenails. Some of them are-
- Using poor footwear – Always wear your size. Do not go for too loose or too tight ones as they leave gaps or no gaps for perspiration to accumulate.
- Using toxic chemicals – We know fashion is a bit difficult to be comprised with but please make sure any nail enamel that you use on your toes is worth your beauty or comfort.
- Exposing your toes to unclean water – Putting your water in cold streams might seem like an exciting idea but not for your toes. They can get infected with bacteria or lose their nourishment.
So now that you know please take good care of your toes!