Women undergo several problems in their lives. Our bodies are complex and female anatomy is way too complex. But we are not here to talk about complexity or problems. We will be giving you solutions and this time we discuss the viral sea moss. We will also consider how it is so popular and what is it.
If any of you were apprehensive about its usage, we think this is the right time to read our article and enlighten yourself to the point where there are no more doubts. We will also be getting into its side effects, if any so that the choice is informed in every way.
What does sea moss contain?
There could be a lot of speculation around the fact of what it is but it is not as complex as it seems. Sea moss can be described as an algae that has been lauded recently for its various properties. Grown all along the coasts of the Atlantic, it is native to both Europe and North America.
Talking about its contents, it is mainly known to have a lot of Vitamins including A, C, K, E, and B. Additionally it is also a galore of Iodine, Calcium, Sulfur, Iron, Potassium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium. Protein, dietary fiber, Omega-3 fatty acids, and some carbs are part of it making it a favorite among gymgoers.
Sea moss benefits for women
Several benefits of sea moss can be related to benefiting women’s health, including:
1. Thyroid support- Women are known to have many problems related to their thyroid glands which can affect them adversely. So eating sea moss can help get them the needed iodine that could ease out the production of thyroid hormone through the glands. Thyroid is essential to control the way our body deals with fats and carbs.
2. Nutrient boost during pregnancy- When women are pregnant their body is working for two people which means they need to consume nutrients needed for two people which is in a way difficult to meet. In such circumstances, Sea moss could be a better choice since it has a wide array of nutrients that can facilitate fetal development as well as keep the mother’s health in perfect condition.
3. Skin health- Women’s skin health also undergo a sort of roller coaster and we might need something effective to keep it in control which would be sea moss. Women have reported improvement in their skin including the disappearance of acne, and pimples, unclogging of pores, and giving it the much-needed glow it deserves.
4. Menstrual health- Menstrual health is critical to taking care of a woman’s body and the iron content in the sea moss could be a game-changer. This is especially helpful for women with heavy menstrual bleeding which can also lead to anemia if left uncontrolled.
5. Digestive health- Due to the continuous change in hormonal levels and other conditions, female digestive health also takes a setback and that is where the soluble fiber in sea moss makes a dashing entry. It can not only relieve the intestines during assimilation but also ease the impact of heavy foods that are difficult to digest.
6. Joint and bone health- After 35 women could have a major setback when it comes to bone health and joints. If they’ve had kids, this could multiply and the Vitamin D in sea moss along with the Calcium content could make your joints and bones stronger.
7. Immune system support- The immune system also needs a lot of support mostly because it is often confronted with multiple bacteria or viruses more than men perhaps. In this case, the immune system is supported with all the nutrients galore sea moss has.
8. Weight management- Women who are into weight management can depend on sea moss to help them give the needed protein yet not add to their weight gain woes. However, it is necessary to eat it in moderation because of the carbohydrate content.
But there are certain rules you must follow when looking for sea moss. Firstly it should be of high quality. Secondly, we should clean and soak the sea moss to remove the sand trapped inside it which is not healthy to it. Thirdly, after soaking you could add water and boil it to retrieve the gel. Lastly, you can store the gel in your refrigerator and then maybe use it whenever necessary. Only 1 cup of sea moss should be mixed with 1.5 cups of water. As soon as the mixture is done, it should be kept inside the freezer in an air-tight container.
Side effects of sea moss for women
Several side effects are also attributed to the usage of sea moss including-
1. Iodine sensitivity- This means that sea moss is an excellent source of iodine, but in most cases, it could end up being counter-productive and lead to severe iodine flush.
2. Carrageenan sensitivity- It is one of the substances that is widely available in sea moss. Several people have complained of severe allergic reactions after its consumption.
3. Allergies- Apart from the one above, anybody who is allergic to seafood might also find himself allergic to sea moss. So if you have a known allergy, you must try to keep yourself away.
4. Digestive issues- Eating it in combination with certain foods is known to cause stomach cramps.
Sea moss can be a fine addition to your food habits. They are beneficial in multiple ways and can help upgrade women’s health in many stages of life. Its preparation is also easy but cleaning it is not.
Despite all the advantages, you might want to cut back on it if you have known allergies. Additionally, don’t consume something because you feel pressured. It may or may not work for you but listening to your body is too important in any case. Consult a doctor if you feel you have digested something else and feel uncomfortable. Stop the usage immediately and work a way out of it with your dietitian.