In 2020 we learned that we can do some of our beauty treatments at home. The combination of continuous COVID concern as well as our new found skill sets, many of the home beauty treatments are expected to continue beyond 2021. The top searched at home beauty treatments in 2020 were “how to cut mens hair at home”, “how to color your hair at home” and “how to do a self manicure”. Let’s get into some details and tips to help you master your at home techniques.
Hair Color at Home
According to Nielsen, during the fifth week of the pandemic, sales of hair dyes rose 23%. Many of us learned how and/or how easy it is to do it yourself. This trend is expected to continue well into 2021 and beyond. The ease, COVID safety and cost savings make home hair coloring a popular choice. If you’re wondering what to buy, we like this article from good housekeeping.
Home Hair Color Tips:
- Follow the directions. Home coloring kits are very easy to use. Be sure to follow the directions step by step.
- Ease into it. Consider spot treatment or just doing your roots.
- Be sure to do a test first. This will help to ensure you don’t have a reaction as well as the shade.
- Don’t trust the model on the box – buy 2 boxes will help you know when to go lighter or darker in color.
- If you’re covering roots better to choose a lighter color/shade.
According to Nielsen, during the fifth week of the pandemic, sales of hair clippers increased 166%. This trend has continued into 2021 and is expected to continue into future years. Much of the home haircut focus has been on men and boys, short haircuts or long hair trims as these are the easiest to do yourself. There are literally hundreds of DIY You Tube videos out there that can teach you the steps and provide advice. If your a woman and your unsure of what cut to try check out this article from allure which highlights easy DIY cuts.
Some tips to consider:
- A left handed person should use left handed scissors because the blades are set up to make cutting easier and reduce strain on the hand.
2. Much like any do it yourself project, your tools are vital to good results. Wondering what tools to use? Check out mens health ranking of the best hair clippers.
3. Don’t try to use beard trimmers on the hair on your head.
4. Be patient and follow directions. We like this article from Boston magazine which instructs men on how to give themselves a haircut.
In 2020 overall purchases of prestige nail products increased 24%. NPD also reported that the sale of base coats and top coats surged 102% year-over-year. Need some direction? Check out glamours step by step guide.
Home manicure tips:
- Be sure you’re using new/quality nail polish. Throw out any old gelatinous bottles.
- Be Patient. Be sure to apply thin layers and wait for complete drying between coats.
- Practice makes perfect. If you struggle doing your dominant hand, ask a friend to help.
If you need some help determining the best colors, creamy blue, soft red, deep teals and chocolate are all on trend.
In summary, COVID has changed us all in many ways, including beauty habits. The top 3 C change habits are home hair coloring, hair cuts and home manicures. We’d love to hear from you about your home beauty regime.
Gentle Reminders: If you liked this type of content and want to see more, scroll to the top of the page, enter your email in the right hand column, and click “subscribe.” To share with friends, use the social sharing icons below. This blog contains affiliate links; both clicking on and purchasing through links help pay for this content.