Acrylic nails are beautiful, and they add the oomph factor to your hands. There is something about acrylic nails that attracts everyone, not only for the fingernails but also for the toes. However, the nails require to be removed just like they are put. Most times, as time goes the nails naturally start to fall off, but then it could stay back also.
There is a complete process done in salons to remove the fake nails. The salons again charge some amount to remove the nails and it involves taking appointments. It involves time, and this could cause issues for many. Thus, there is a requirement to use some home remedies that can remove acrylic nails at home.
What is acetone?
Acetone is a harsh chemical that can help to remove the acrylic nails. It can cause skin irritation or damage the skin if not used with caution. There are some better alternatives available that can take off the acrylic nails at home without any damage. The below-listed ways can help remove the acrylic nails irrespective of them being gel nails or glue-on ones.
Acetone is a solvent that is used in nail polish removers and other cleaning chemicals. Chemically it is known as propane-2 or dimethyl ketone. Acetone works to dissolve the glue that sticks the fake nails to the nails. It has a strong smell that can be nauseous for many plus it dries the skin. Acetone is quickly available and can easily remove the nail paint of the debris but then comes with side effects. Therefore there is a need for some better options which are as follows:
What are the different types of fake nails available?
- Acrylic false nails- acrylics are the most loved and used artificial nails. The acrylic nail brush is used to apply polymer and monomer combinations, and thus, it gets the name. Acrylic nails are tough and strong; thus, the nails last for longer.
- Gel false nails- a resin-based polymer gel is formed over the natural nail with a UV lamp.
- Press false nails- it is the quickest and perhaps the do-it-yourself method of applying nails. There are pre-made false fingernails available with adhesive and one has to apply it.
- Nail wraps- nail wraps are loved by the ones who like natural-looking nails. The nails are shorter and made with silk and linen by using adhesive. It lasts only for two weeks.
Also Read: Nail Colors 2023: Fashion And Style Trends
How to remove acrylic nails without acetone At Home?
Some money-saving methods that are pocket-friendly are as follows:
- Non-acetone nail polish and false nail remover- non-acetone remover is made from an alcohol solution, and it is less harsh than acetone. Non-acetone remover dissolves the glues from the false nails and it causes no damage to the underlying skin or nails. It has less harsh chemicals but works effectively. However, it takes longer to remove the nails. It requires a substantial amount of non-acetone remover on the nail so that the glue dissolves. Once the glue dissolves the nail will come off very easily.
- Hot, soapy water- The best way to remove acrylic nails without any harsh chemicals is by using hot, soapy water. The process is simple and highly effective. Importantly, it has several other benefits. It cleans the hands plus relaxes the muscles and nerves of the hands. Soaking in hot water weakens the adhesive that holds the artificial nails to the original ones. In a bowl of hot water, soak the nails for fifteen to twenty minutes and then lightly rub them off. If the nail breaks and there are stubborn bits then using a cuticle pusher or tweezer can help to remove them.
- Cuticle oil- cuticle oil is a mix of natural oils like almond oil, castor oil, and jojoba oil that softens the glue on the artificial nail. Cuticle oil is milder than acetone remover, soap, and hot water. Plus, it nourishes the nails and skin. Applying artificial nails can damage the natural ones; thus, to avoid the scenario, removing them with cuticle oil is a good option.
- Nail file- a nail file is, again, a great way to remove the nail. A coarse grit nail file will break down the acrylic nail and chip it off very easily. Thus, without any additional harsh chemicals or soapy water, the work is done. Simply use the file in a back-and-forth motion until the acrylics are all removed from the nails. It is risky as the nail file can harm the natural nails. Thus, carefully and while using cream, use the file on the nail, and then after a while, the nails are off.
- Use all the above four steps- well, if the acrylic nails are stubborn and are not getting off, then use all the above four steps. Using the above four steps can help to get the nails off quickly and more easily. If all the above elements are available then there is no stopping. Use all of them and get rid of the fake nails. The process involves first the application of nail remover and then dipping them in the hot water. The two will remove the adhesive. Then, with the cuticle oil and file, remove the nail. After completing the process apply some cream on the natural nail.
If you are the blessed ones, then the artificial nails stay for a good four to five months, and with regular hot water therapy, they peel off. It is mandatory to take care of the natural nails that were under the artificial ones. Before applying the artificial nails, the natural ones are thoroughly scrubbed, and strong adhesive is used to stick them. Once the nails are removed the underlying nails need proper care. Irrespective of the method used to remove the acrylic nails at home one has to apply cream or oil on the natural nails.
However, rest assured that the above methods will prove their worth, and the nails will come out. After that, for some time, let the nails remain open and absorb the fresh air and Sun before undergoing the next session of nail application.