Makeup is no longer the artificial powder that gives us the look we want. It is something natural and part of the body.
Additionally, it is now available in shades and kinds that can be quite blending to your face and not stand out or look cakey. Yet we do have to remove it when we lie down to sleep or get to our night routine.
We can’t get a makeup remover all the time. So how do we deal with it? You can always depend on our very own coconut oil. If you are wondering about its usage, read on to know how that works.
What are the benefits of coconut oil makeup remover?
A makeup remover is any substance that wipes off any traces of powdered or liquid cosmetics from your skin.
They can be both chemical and natural ones available for use. However, what you use would completely depend on the skin and texture you possess. In any case, using coconut oil as a makeup remover has lots of benefits including,
- Its effectiveness: Unlike some removers, coconut oil can break down even the toughest of makeup creams which are waterproof. This means no more endless scrubbing.
- Gentle on the skin: Many makeup removers could lead to breakouts but not coconut oil. Not only are they natural but rich in vitamins essential for the skin.
- Hydrating and moisturizing: It stimulates the pores and thus enhances the release of natural oils giving it a suppler texture.
- Antimicrobial properties: Its antimicrobial properties could heal any possible infection that might have been caused by the makeup. It can also easily kill the fungi forming on the face.
- Cost-effective: Its cost-effectiveness shall make you fall for it as makeup removers could make a dent in your pocket.
How to use coconut oil makeup remover?
Before we tell you the procedure, we would want you to take some cotton swabs as well as pure coconut oil with no additives.
You should not look for the liquid form but the solid one for ease of application. Now follow these steps,
➡️ Ensure clean hands
Keep your hands clean before having contact with your face as it could be harmful to it. It can also keep the transfer of dirt at bay.
➡️ Choose high-quality coconut oil
Always select the organic one as the filtered one could be losing all its original benefits. Moreover, mixing it with other oils not suitable for the skin could lead to acne and pimples.
➡️ Scoop a small amount
Don’t apply it all over and use the cotton pads to swab a bit. You could also use your finger or a spatula.
➡️ Warm the coconut oil
Now you should warm the oil to make it easier to apply on the face. Rubbing it between the fingers should work just fine.
➡️ Apply to your face
You can start by massaging the oil onto your face gently. Try to apply it in circular motions to prevent any area from being left out.
The eyes and lips should be paid special attention as they contain some strong creams and lotions. Now you can let the oil work its magic by waiting for a few minutes.
➡️ Focus on eye makeup
Eye makeup is particularly tough to get rid of hence using some extra oil gently on them can be helpful to break down the liner, mascara, shadow, and even kohl.
➡️ Wipe away with cotton pads or clothes
You can use cotton pads or clothes to remove the makeup gently now. Do not rub excessively as it can harm the delicate areas of the skin with friction.
➡️ Repeat if necessary
You can repeat the step if necessary. And some lotions might need to be removed carefully.
After the makeup is fully removed, use a gentle cleanser to clean any dirt or remaining residues on your face. This will also open the clogged skin pores if any.
➡️ Moisturize if desired
The next step following the cleanser should be exfoliation, the removal of dead cells. After that, you can use a soothing moisturizer to help heal the skin a bit.
There are some tips you might want to keep in mind while using coconut oil as a makeup remover. Firstly, never let the makeup sit until night and do the cleaning in the evening ideally.
Secondly, in case you have oily skin and are prone to pimples and acne more than usual, it should be followed up with a patch test to see the results.
Lastly, you should always control the oil used on your face. Coconut oil is good but anything in abundance could be fatal and this is the same with it as well.
So you might want to cut back on the amount as even a small drop could do the magic. The side effects of using coconut oil as a makeup remover shouldn’t be ignored either.
- It could clog pores: Being a comedogenic product, it can clog pores on your skin. This means your skin could suffer without nutrients.
- Allergic reactions: Though rare, some do complain of allergic reactions on the skin thanks to using coconut oil.
- Eye irritation: In some individuals, coconut oil can lead to eye irritation.
Coconut oil can be a great choice to remove makeup on your face as it can deal with the toughest of them. However, it could be challenging to know the right way for it to be applied.
This is when you could follow the steps given above to get rid of the makeup stains on your body. In any case, throwing caution to the wind might not be a good idea.
You should know if you are allergic to the substance and if yes use it accordingly. Its risks should also make you wary of its benefits and hence an informed decision should be taken.
If you are looking for a non-expensive organic makeup remover, you may have just found it!
- Varma SR, Sivaprakasam TO, Arumugam I, Dilip N, Raghuraman M, Pavan K, Rafiq M, Paramesh R. In vitro anti-inflammatory and skin protective properties of Virgin coconut oil. J Tradit Complement Med. 2019;9:5–14. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcme.2017.06.012.
- Konar MC, Islam K, Roy A, Ghosh T. Effect of virgin coconut oil application on the skin of preterm newborns: a randomized controlled trial. J Trop Pediatr. 2020;66:129–135. doi: 10.1093/tropej/fmz041.