Cosmetic surgeries are quite common these days. It could be due to several reasons including its promotion by various celebs or actors.
It also speaks a lot about our empowerment that can help modify the way we look at least. Changing it could not be much but to some, it could be a much-needed self-esteem boost.
However, apprehensions about the surgery couldn’t be any lesser. While many are non-invasive some are invasive and can lead to consequences you might not be prepared for.
This article will cover the classic lip flip and its procedure details, risks, and benefits. Read on to know in detail about it.
What is a lip flip? What is it?
Lip flip is the slang name given for Botox of the lips. You might have seen it on many actresses as their lips get plumper and you might have even wanted to try it once.
Like other parts of the body, this one also includes the lifting. The lifting will flip the lip and give it the appearance of a thick luscious pair.
However scientifically, it includes the injecting of Botox into the lips. It is mostly non-invasive and is regularly wanted by many.
When genes don’t work the way we want, we start making it dance on our tunes. When you opt for Botox it is normal to feel an outward protrusion of the upper lip giving it the look you dreamt of.
Lip flip-procedure details
The procedure includes a myriad of steps
- Consultation: The cosmetician needs to gauge the body part, in this case, the lips. The doctor can use this time to understand how your lips are physically and how they can sculpt the way you want. You could also tell them about your expectations during this step.
- Preparation: For the preparation a well-known antiseptic is used to avoid infection. A cotton ball is dabbed in the solution and wiped off the upper lip.
- This is also the time when the doctor would want you to undergo the numbing effect using ice or local anesthesia. In some cases, you might not be given any if your tolerance level is high.
- Selection of neuromodulation: A neuromodulator is what stops the nerves from reacting. For a cosmetic procedure to work, Botox is used in injections which could be the reason why the communication between the muscles and nerves ceases temporarily.
- In some cases other modulators like Dysport or Xeomin. It will be decided by the doctor to meet the patient’s needs.
- Injection Sites and Targeted Muscles: Now the next step involves finding the place to be injected. It is usually around the Oribucularis oris muscles which then relaxes and gives it the desired effect.
- Dosage and injection sites: Lip fillers are traditionally used to increase the width of your lips but the dosage used in lip flip is quite low as we are not looking for a complete change. Using small needles the medicine is injected carefully into the muscles as it starts taking effect.
Risks of lip flip
Risks are also associated with lip flips like they are common with any other cosmetic procedure. However, we could list a few that could arise in the general population after getting a lip flip.
➡️ Bruising and swelling
Lip flip is the result of injections on or near the area of the lips. So when it leads to bruising reddening or swelling you shouldn’t be surprised. For several weeks you might not be able to engage in physically challenging tasks.
➡️ Uneven results
This could be the scariest result attributed to lip flip. In many cases, the lips could end up being uneven and this might lead to many problems. Uneven lips may require further sittings to be aligned properly.
➡️ Temporary effects
Unlike lip jobs, lip flips are temporary fixes. They don’t stay longer than 6 months. For you to keep the look, you might need to go for follow-up treatments and other settings to repeat the procedure which is not easy in any way.
➡️ Other symptoms
A fever or headache along with difficulty in eating is associated with lip flips. You might not even be able to lie down for a few hours until the lip flip gets completed. Its post-operative care is also not easy to conduct.
Benefits of lip flip
Just because it is risky, doesn’t mean the benefits are not obvious. It could include,
➡️ Subtle enhancement
Most people don’t want their cosmetic procedures to be obvious. It should blend into their natural looks seamlessly. For those, a lip flip could be a great idea. Unlike its counterparts, lip flip gives a subtle enhancement to the upper lip with a slight bump.
➡️ Natural look
This is one of the other benefits of lip flip. Due to the subtle transformation, the look blends into the parts of the face. Lip fillers would be more direct and the swelling could misalign it.
➡️ Quick procedure
Lip fillers and other lip jobs might take over a lot of your time and might even be expensive. It takes multiple sessions and the pain could be lagging. However, this is a quick one and might not even take much of your time.
➡️ The recovery time
Its recovery time is also minimal and can be quick considering the other procedures.
Lip flip is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that could help you gain the look you want. Similar to conventional cosmetic jobs, it involves injecting botox into particular areas of the lip to render them weak.
This then triggers their curling or flipping effect. It has risks considering the pain and misalignment it could lead to if the person is not a professional.
Moreover, you might feel uneasy around food substances for a long time. Its benefits are too obvious to be overlooked including giving the lips a natural look and not the artificial one which is surgical. In any case, it would be important to apply caution, given the risks.
- Li Y, Chong Y, Yu N, et al. The use of botulinum toxin A in upper lip augmentation
- Medication guide: Botox®. (2016, January)