Happy 2019 – New Year, New You? Tired of making all those resolutions you can’t keep and then spending time feeling guilty about it? Let’s focus on just a few things that can help you feel better, look better and be better in 2019. While these adjustments seem small over the course of a year they can really make a meaningful difference to your well being.
- Take the stairs – Skip the elevator and hit the stairs. Burn some extra calories and enhance muscle tone.
- Alternate your chair with a yoga ball – Tighten and tone stomach muscles. A June 2008 study in the “European Journal of Applied Physiology” found that sitting on a stability ball burned 4.1 calories, or 6 percent, more than sitting on a desk chair every hour. Be sure to get the right size ball so you can maintain good posture and support your back properly.
- Walk more – Park further from the door, chose to walk vs drive, enjoy a walk outside when you can. Studies show that you can stay healthy by walking only 30 minutes a day. Walking is a weight bearing exercise as you are carrying your own body weight. The benefits of walking include: increased heart & lung fitness, reduced risk of heart disease & stroke, improved blood pressure, cholesterol management, reduced joint & muscle pain, stronger bones, increased balance, increased muscle strength/endurance and reduced body weight.
- Try a new gym workout – Some times mixing things up keeps things fresh, works new muscles, improves results (breaks through weight loss plateaus), introduces you to new friends and renews your interest in working out.
- Cook more at home – Not only is it healthier for you but you’ll save money, time, control portions and pick up some new skills. Side benefit is it can be fun to cook with and for others.
- Update your beauty routine – It’s natural to get stuck in doing the same steps but in reality your face, neck and skin change over time. The recommended morning steps include: Cleaner, Toner, Anti oxidant serum, Eye cream, Spot Treatment, Moisturizer, Sunscreen and then Makeup. The recommended nighttime routine includes” Makeup removal, Cleansing Oil, Water based cleanser, Toner, Serum & Oil and Night cream. Most people skip the serums and oils. Try our SHINE Organic Brightening Oil or REWIND Organic Toning Oil – a few drops make a big difference!
- Get more sleep – The average adult needs 7-9 hours of sleep each day to maintain good health. Getting the proper amount of sleep increases productivity/creativity, controls weight, strengthens your heart, and helps to minimize inflammation and depression.
- Drink more water – Water is the best hydrating tool. The general rule is when you drink 6-8 8 ounce glasses of water a day you’ll stay hydrated and that will keep your skin dewy and nourished.
- Try new clothing styles and colors – We all get used to lots of black why not try a pop of color with the Pantone color of the year – Living Coral. Coral tones look amazing on nearly all skin tones.
- Clean out your makeup – It’s time to be honest and throw our what you don’t use, what you think is old and/or what is out of style. The best before dates on many products can be hard to fins but some general guidance is Mascara 3-6 months, Eye & lip pencils put to 5 years. Eyeshadow, lip gloss, lipstick, concealer and foundation about 2 years.
- Do an act of random kindness once a week – Hold a door, help someone across the street, pay a strangers toll, give your sandwich to a homeless person … you get the gist.
- Donate your time – You don’t need money for this one. Try donating some time to your favorite charity or helping a neighbor in need.
- Plan your future – Take the time to plan your career & finances. The market and economy are volatile, unemployment is low – take advantage of it!
- Be Quiet – Plan 2-5 minutes a day just for you. Put down the phone and find a quiet place to just sit still. It will feel strange at first but the benefits of quiet time includes reducing stress, takes you out of chaos, helps healing and provides perspective/balance.
- Take a chance – Get out of your comfort zone – try something new and out of your normal pattern. The benefits of taking a risk include: Unforeseen opportunities that may arise, builds your confidence, develop a sense of pride and accomplishment, helps you to learn new things, spurs creativity and helps you to develop emotional resilience. You literally could change your life for the better. So make a case for the raise you deserve, enter the race you have thought about or talk to that person you always wanted to.
Be sure to share your thoughts – we’d love to hear what your doing in 2019. Gentle Reminder: If you like what you read and want to see more of this type of content, Subscribe! Scroll to the top of this page, and on the right hand side, enter your email. ?