Face yoga has become a popular anti-aging technique that aims to tone, relax and rejuvenate the facial muscles naturally. With routine practice, face yoga can help reduce wrinkles, tighten sagging skin, and achieve a more youthful glow without injectables. However, maximizing the benefits requires proper technique.
Understanding the methods and steps of face yoga along with precautions enables you to implement an effective routine suitable for your goals.
What Is Face Yoga?
Face yoga is a form of exercise that involves using one’s fingers, facial movements, and breath to tone and stimulate the muscles in the face and neck.
Drawing from yoga, acupressure, and facial expression techniques, a series of repetitive motions is used to smooth lines, relax tension, improve circulation, and strengthen muscles that sag over time. This stimulates collagen and elastin to provide a lifting effect.
Types Of Face Yoga
Some common face yoga movements include:
1. Forehead smoothing: Place palms on the forehead and gently glide outwards across eyebrows to remove frown lines. Repeat 5-10 times.
2. Cheek lifter: Smile broadly pulling cheeks up. Hold for 20 seconds, flexing cheek muscles. Repeat 5 times.
3. Lip puller: Using index fingers, gently pull upper and lower lips apart and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times.
4. Chin slap: With mouth open, place 3 fingers under chin and snap chin down lightly. Repeat 20 times.
5. Neck smoother: Place hands on the sides of the neck and glide thumbs outwards repeatedly towards the chest. Do 5-10 reps.
Steps To Do Face Yoga Properly
Here are some tips for maximizing face yoga effectiveness:
1. Cleanse and moisturize skin to warm up muscles and boost circulation.
2. Sit upright with shoulders relaxed. Deeply breathe in and out through the nose during movements.
3. Focus on making smooth, flowing motions. No harsh pulling or tugging of delicate skin.
4. Open eyes and mouth wide, lifting eyebrows and puffing cheeks to reduce tension in muscles.
5. Apply gentle pressure on acupressure points – under the eyes, along brows, behind ears, under the chin.
6. Finish by massaging your face lightly using circular outward motions to invigorate the skin.
7. Cool down with some relaxing eye rolls and deep breaths. Ice globes can also be used to soothe muscles.
Aim to practice face yoga for 5-10 minutes daily. Consistency is key to seeing benefits.
Benefits Of Face Yoga
With regular practice, face yoga can:
1. Smooth out fine lines and wrinkles by stimulating collagen
2. Lift and tone drooping muscles in cheeks, jowls, and neck
3. Reduce puffiness and tighten sagging skin
4. Improve facial circulation and skin tone
5. Release tension in muscles and joints
6. Train muscles to resist aging
7. Promote relaxation and reduced stress
8. Enhance lymphatic drainage to detox skin
It provides similar anti-aging effects as facial fillers and Botox but is completely natural. The best results come with daily practice for at least 8-12 weeks.
Tips And Precautions For Face Yoga
1. Don’t overdo it – Start off gently and work up to avoid straining muscles.
2. Hydrate skin well and use a moisturizer to minimize friction.
3. Avoid moving skin too aggressively or pulling it excessively taut.
4. Opt for soothing motions and work within your comfort zone.
5. Those with skin conditions like rosacea should patch test first.
6. Adjust pressure based on skin sensitivity. Thinner skin requires a gentler touch.
7. Stop immediately if movements cause discomfort or irritation.
8. Consult a dermatologist first if you have health conditions affecting bones, nerves, or muscles.
As a holistic anti-aging and stress relief technique, face yoga offers a free, convenient way to take care of your facial skin. When performed gently and regularly, it can yield subtle yet noticeable improvements in tone, elasticity, and fine lines over time.
Along with proper skincare, sun protection, and a healthy lifestyle, face yoga helps deter the aging process naturally by training our facial muscles.
Q: How often should face yoga be done to see results?
A: Most experts recommend 5-10 minutes of face yoga daily. Consistency is key for reaping benefits. Allow 2-3 months for noticeable improvements.
Q: At what age should you start doing face yoga?
A: It can be beneficial to start in your 20s or 30s as a preventative anti-aging tool before pronounced signs appear. But you can begin at any age to address existing concerns.
Q: Can face yoga help with facial pain or TMJ?
A: Yes, by relaxing tense muscles in the face, neck and jaw, it can alleviate pain and discomfort associated with these conditions. But avoid movements that exacerbate pain.
Q: Is face yoga recommended for those who have had plastic surgery?
A: Yes, but only after you have fully healed and with approval from your cosmetic surgeon first. Extra care should be taken not to strain surgical areas.
Q: Can facial wrinkles completely disappear with face yoga?
A: While it can significantly improve their appearance, some deeper wrinkles may not disappear fully without cosmetic procedures. But face yoga helps prevent new wrinkles from forming.