The growth cycle of nails is amazing. It takes 2-3 months and involves several stages. First, the nail matrix under the cuticle produces new cells. Then, these cells harden and become part of the nail plate. As the nail grows, it pushes off the older cells at the free edge.
To encourage nail growth, you need to:
- Eat a balanced diet with biotin, iron, and zinc. Biotin (vitamin H or B7) strengthens nails and prevents breakage. Iron-rich foods like greens and lean meats help avoid brittle nails. Zinc enables cell division and hence, nail growth.
- Moisturize your nails. Dryness leads to splitting and breaking. Use hand cream or cuticle oil to keep your nails hydrated and flexible.
- Look after your health. Good hygiene and avoiding harsh chemicals protect your nails. Wear gloves when doing chores or working with chemicals.
- Avoid habits that stop nail growth. Don’t bite or pick your nails. Don’t use too much polish remover or harsh chemicals.
Tips To Promote Faster Nail Growth
To promote faster nail growth, try maintaining a healthy diet, keeping your nails hydrated, and following a proper nail care routine. These simple tips can give your nails the nourishment and care they need to grow stronger and longer.
✅ Maintaining A Healthy Diet
Maintaining a healthy diet is key for speedy nail growth. Feeding your body with the right nutrients helps strengthen your nails and support their growth. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Include protein-rich foods in your meals. Good sources include lean meats, fish, eggs, beans, and nuts.
- Eat foods high in vitamins and minerals such as biotin, vitamin E, and iron. Examples include spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, almonds, and lentils.
- Avoid crash diets or extreme calorie reductions. Focus on balanced meals that provide a variety of nutrients.
- Drink an adequate amount of water each day. Water keeps nails moist and prevents brittleness.
✅ Keeping Your Nails Hydrated
Hydrating your nails is key for faster growth. When they’re hydrated, they become stronger and healthier. Here’s how:
Moisturize often: Apply a high-quality moisturizer or cuticle oil to your nails and the skin around them. This locks in moisture and prevents dryness, keeping your nails hydrated.
Stay hydrated inside: Drink plenty of water every day to keep your body hydrated. This helps the health and growth of your nails too.
Avoid harsh chemicals: Keep away from harsh chemicals like acetone or alcohol-based removers. These strips away moisture from your nails, leading to dryness and brittleness.
✅ Proper Nail Care Routine
Looking after your nails is key to keeping them healthy and making them grow quickly. Here are a few ideas for a good nail-care routine:
- Bathe your nails in a mild cleanser or soap on a regular basis. This will clear away any bacteria and grime.
- Snip your nails regularly with nail clippers or scissors to keep them from becoming too long and breaking.
- Rub nourishing oil or cream into your nails and cuticles every day. This will hydrate them and keep them from drying out.
Habits To Avoid That Hinder Nail Growth
To support faster nail growth, avoid habits that hinder it. Nail biting and picking, as well as excessive use of nail polish and acrylics, can impede the natural growth process. By stopping these habits, you can promote healthier and longer nails.
▶️ Nail Biting And Picking
Nail-biting and picking can seriously harm nail growth. Here are 3 reasons why you should avoid this habit:
❌ Damages the nail bed: Biting or picking your nails can make the nail bed weak and brittle.
❌ Increases the risk of infection: Biting or picking your nails introduces bacteria and other germs to the open wounds around your nails, which can cause infections.
❌ Hinders nail growth: Disrupting the natural growth process can prevent your nails from growing properly.
▶️ Excessive Use Of Nail Polish And Acrylics
Painting our talons with fancy hues and jazzing them up with acrylics? It’s a hot trend in the fashion world. But, too much nail polish and acrylics is not good for our nails. Let’s find out why:
- Chemicals – Nail polishes and acrylics have many chemicals that can damage our nails over time. These substances can cause dryness, fragility, and discoloration.
- No Oxygen – Applying multiple layers of nail polish or acrylic blocks oxygen to the nails. Oxygen is vital for their growth and nourishment. This can slow down nail growth.
- Weakens Natural Defense – Always using nail polish removers and harsh chemicals to remove gel or acrylic extensions weakens our nails’ natural defense. This makes them prone to damage and breakage.
Recommended Supplements For Nail Health
Are your nails feeling weak? Supplement your diet with the essentials to promote healthy nail growth! Biotin, Vitamin E, Iron, Zinc, Omega-3 fatty acids, and Silica all play a role in maintaining strong and resilient nails.
Additionally, other essential vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C, Calcium, Magnesium, and Selenium should also be part of your routine. Consult with a healthcare professional to determine the right dosage for you.