At-home laser removal devices have become increasingly popular in recent years as a convenient way to remove unwanted hair. These devices use laser or Intense pulsed light technology to target and damage the hair follicles. Ultimately, it inhibits further hair growth. But how does it work?
How At-Home Laser Hair Removal Works?
Two kinds of devices are used to remove the hair follicles in a home setting. Firstly, there are actual Laser products that can be effective and remove hair permanently. Secondly, the IPL may require frequent treatments but could also give results similar to laser ones. Doctors also talk about its efficacy when it comes to variant skin colors.
While black hair on white skin gets the best results, repeated use may get you the desired result too. The laser or IPL device often emits a concentrated beam of light that the Melanin absorbs in the hair shaft and follicles. Melanin determines the skin color of a person.
After the light energy is absorbed by the skin, it gets converted into heat energy which damages the hair follicle. It works because it could damage the ability of the hair follicle to grow again. Over time, with multiple treatments, the hair in the treated hair becomes finer and lighter and some follicles may even stop producing hair altogether.
How To Perform At-Home Laser Removal?
There are certain steps to be followed when you try laser hair removal at home–
- Choose the Right Device- The first step is to look for the right device that you can use comfortably at home. Different individuals use different devices.
- Read the Instructions- Never go in blind. Read all the instructions carefully before you operate it. Familiarize yourself with the buttons.
- Prepare a Skin- Shave the area you plan to treat before using the device. The laser or IPL energy should target the hair follicle and not the hair on the surface.
- Test on a Small Area- Conduct a patch test before using it all over the body. Wait for 2-3 days for the patch to work.
- Treatment Process- Place the device against your skin and press the trigger button to emit light. Slowly, move the device across the area, ensuring overlapping passes.
- Post-Treatment Care- After your session, avoid sun exposure and use sunscreen on the area.
Safety Precautions To Be Taken During At-Home Laser Hair Removal
Though the process is generally safe, you should be careful when using the device on your body. You could use the following tips to get the best results and protect your skin from damage.
1. Skin and Hair Type Assessment- Always make sure your skin and hair type are suitable for an at-home laser removal procedure. Dark skin or very light-colored hair might not respond well to the treatment, so doing it over and over is not a good idea.
2. Clean and Dry The Skin- Make sure your skin is dry, and free of lotions, creams, or other products before removing the hair.
3. Eye Protection- Your eye is sensitive to the light so wear appropriate eye protection which is provided with the device.
4. Use the Correct Settings- Your device should be under your control which means you should know all about its speed and light variations according to your skin color.
5. Cooling Gels or Numbing Creams- If you feel the treatment makes you uncomfortable, there is always an option to choose cooling gels or creams to alleviate the pain.
6. Never Use It near the Mucous Membranes- This means eyes, eyebrows, and other sensitive areas are off limits. Always be careful when using the division as precision is key.
7. Seek Professional Help- In case, you are doubtful about something or you are feeling severe pain in the area, you should immediately contact a healthcare professional.
8. Keep a Plan- Always remember to make a concise plan when it comes to using at-home laser hair removal.
Not all results would be similar as the devices and their reaction on your skin could vary. Never throw caution to the wind as these devices are as effective as they are destructive. If you do feel uncomfortable, you can always consult a dermatologist or a beauty treatment expert.