Rosemary herb is native to the Mediterranean region. In ancient civilizations, it was used to ward off evil. It had medicinal and other qualities and thus was used widely. From the rosemary shrub, a pale liquid oil is extracted that has a herbaceous aroma. Rosemary oil is used in several recipes and drinks. The herb or oil both add a very aromatic flavor that changes the complete taste of the meal.
In the present day, the good old rosemary oil has found its way into many perfumes, skincare, and haircare, as it has magical properties that add to its benefits. Rosemary oil has medical benefits and thus is widely used.
Benefits of rosemary oil for skin
For someone looking to transform their skin, rosemary oil could help. Using rosemary oil regularly and correctly could help solve various skin issues. Rosemary oil has become an indispensable part of the skincare routine for the following reasons:
1. Smooth out the fine lines- Rosemary oil is loaded with antioxidants and gives protection to the skin from harmful free radicals and pollution. It is usually the pollutants from the environment, free radicals, or the harsh UV rays of the Sun that damage the elasticity of the skin, making it saggy.
Here, the appearance of fine lines gets prominent, damaging the complete look and skin. Thus applying rosemary oil either by mixing it with a carrier oil or cream can smooth the fine lines. Moreover, the regular application will take years off the face.
2. Fight acne- Acne is the worst enemy of good glowing skin. First, it’s the acne and comes to the spots that could potentially leave on the face. Thus, to combat acne, using rosemary oil is a good choice. Rosemary oil has antibacterial properties, thus stopping the penetration of bacteria in the pores and thereby reducing acne.
The process here should involve firstly cleansing the pores with a mild but effective cleanser, then applying the oil so that there is no acne. It will reduce the breakouts, and then in the long run, there may not be any breakouts.
3. Tighten the face skin- Due to age or just other harsh factors like obesity, stress, pollutants, harsh Sun Rays, and other factors, the person may start to show signs of aging. To get over the signs of aging using rosemary oil is an option. It reduces the fine lines, and also the size of pores (it is common for the pores to increase in size). Thus it will tighten the appearance of the complexion and help you look younger with better skin.
4. Reduce under-eye bags- Puffy swollen eyes look bad and with age, it, increase. It usually happens because of fluid buildup in the tissue under the eyes. The diuretic properties in rosemary oil can help to remove the fluid. Thus the puffy eyes, or the swollen eye-bags, are smoothed out. This gives the skin a more appealing look by easing the congestion.
5. Reduces inflammation- Skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, or rosacea find it difficult to get the right skin and cosmetic products. The inflamed skin, with constant itchiness, can make life difficult. Regular application of rosemary oil can reduce skin inflammation. Rosemary has anti-inflammatory properties reducing the redness that is caused due to these skin conditions. Thus, all three antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant benefits can protect from Sun and weather changes.
6. Natural deodorant- Rosemary has found its way into most cosmetic cleansing products as it has a strong aromatic fragrance. It has a natural smell that can fight skin odors. The bacteria living on the skin can cause infection and also cause a bad smell. Thus, for private parts, armpits, and other sweat glands, rosemary oil application can work wonders. The regions are delicate and use rosemary oil in diluted versions and see the miracle.
7. Remove cellulite- rosemary oil tightens the skin and also reduces cellulite. Fat deposits beneath the skin are stubborn. Regular massage with rosemary oil can remove them. The oil aids the lymphatic system, and this makes it easier to remove the waste and toxins that affect the skin’s agility and ability to stay healthy and remove dead cells.
How to use rosemary oil?
Firstly, as a product garners immense popularity it results that there are several products available in the market. Therefore, the first thing is to find the best organic rosemary oil. Plus, there is a process to apply for it. The most popular ways to use it are as follows:
- It is an essential oil in its concentrated form. Thus, diluting it with carrier oil is vital before applying it to the skin.
- Adding the diluting mixture to a warm bath will let it soak in the skin and reduce the pores.
- Mix rosemary oil with the cosmetics and apply it normally.
- Use it as a part of a handmade essential oil spray and spray it on the skin, or use it as a toner.
- Include the oil in your regular soap or wash and make it a part of your cleansing routine.
Rosemary oil if used in diluted form and from the best brand then it has multiple benefits. It is recommended that organic quality oil is used. Importantly, use it in limited quantities as it is available in highly concentrated form. It is so because it is extracted from a natural source; thus, using it in limited proportions is best. There are no side effects of the oil but there is a small chance that it could irritate people with sensitive skin.
Thus, before applying it on the full skin, doing a patch test is recommended. Apply the diluted oil on the elbow and cover it with plaster for 24 hours. If there is itchiness, redness, inflammation, or irritation then avoid using it. Wash the oil with soapy water and apply the regular oil.
Finally, the benefits of rosemary oil are numerous, ranging from improved hair health to increased cognitive performance and beyond. With its numerous applications and proven effectiveness, including rosemary oil in your daily routine can surely improve your general health and vigor.
- Rathore, S. et al. Sci. Rep.12:3305 (2022) Doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-07298-x Article
- Li JW, Vederas JC. Drug discovery and natural products: end of an era or an endless frontier? Science. 2009;325:161–165.