Eyes are the mirror of the mind and can easily tell stories that one cannot even fathom. Most times, the stories it tells us could be of pain or trauma that might well up our eyes. It also tears up when we are sad or when we get emotional but what if your eyes water suddenly and you don’t even know why? So why do your eyes water when the reason is not very obvious? Several causes could make it well up which we will be looking into in detail. Moreover, to help you we will give you some natural remedies to treat the condition.
Why Do Eyes Become Watery, And What Are The Underlying Causes?
Watery eyes simply mean the accumulation of tears in the tear duct placed in the eyes. The condition also called epiphora is normal in most cases as tears clean up the eyes thoroughly. We get emotional and we cry or we laugh so much we might cry but there are some unwarranted situations where the production of tears is not voluntary but rather involuntary. Let’s look at some of the causes of watery eyes-
1. Eye irritation- Our eyes are sensitive more than we can imagine. Any speck of dust or powder in them can lead to multiple problems including irritation and this will compel us to rub it off. Now to get the dust out, eyes release the tear ducts and they take on the job of getting the foreign object out of the eyes. They do so by flushing it with water.
2. Allergies- Allergies could also be a reason why your eyes are watery. It could be an allergy to cream, a portion of food, and flowers. In any case, your eyes could water up including other symptoms like wheezing, redness in the skin, and severe itching. Scientists believe that it happens due to the extreme irritation an allergy triggers affecting your visionary nerve as well.
3. Pink eyes- Also known as conjunctivitis, pink eyes are often caused by bacteria or viruses leading to a sudden swelling in the conjunctiva. One of its most prominent signs is watery eyes with waxy eyelids and severe itching.
4. Blepharitis- This is another disease affecting the eyes which can lead to the swelling of the eyelids. As a result, it is often seen to affect the tear ducts as well and that is when you could experience teary eyes.
5. Corneal abrasions- Corneal abrasions could be a result of an accident or due to a contact lens. It could leave scratches on the cornea which redden and are painful. As a part of its healing process, eyes start to well up until the wound heals.
How To Stop Watery Eyes At Home Using Natural Remedies?
Any of these above causes don’t trivialize the condition and inconvenience it brings on. There are obviously ways to find the ulterior cause and then work towards it but sometimes your home could have everything that you need to cure watery eyes. So we will be discussing the natural remedies you could use to stop the eyes from watering up involuntarily. It includes-
1. Honey and water- We know how powerful honey is with its anti-bacterial properties. Using it on the face or the body could be healing but if you mix a few teaspoons with warm water, and use a dropper to apply some to each eye, chances are you could get rid of the watery eyes. Additionally, you should be careful to use honey with no adulterations and only organically obtained ones.
2. Cucumber slices- Cucumber is made mostly of water and has cooling properties. These properties could come in handy when we want our tear ducts to calm down and that is exactly why you should use a few slices on them.
3. Rosewater- The Rose is a beautiful flower that symbolizes love but there is another use that it is seldom known for. Not only is it an excellent anti-oxidant but also has anti-microbial properties. So rose water which is obtained by boiling rose petals and taking its extracts, could be helpful than you think. You can use paper or cotton balls and dip some in rose water. Now apply it over the eyelids to get rid of the watery eyes or itching.
4. Chamomile tea- Chamomile tea has been recently hailed as a wonder drug. It is used to reduce fat and even relieve some serious diseases. However, to get rid of itchy and teary eyes, you might need to brew some tea first and then use a cotton ball to dip some and place it on the eyelids. It could soothe your tear ducts more than you think.
5. Aloe vera gel- Aloe vera gel without any additives could produce similar results to the ones above by healing any wounds on the cornea or eyelids. You should clean your hands before applying it on the eyelids and help it heal.
6. Cold milk- In some cases, you can dip cotton balls in cold milk and apply it on the eyelids for a few minutes.
7. Potato slices- Potato chips are tasty but their anti-bacterial properties are well-known too. In those cases, you could take a thin slice and place it on the eyes for 5 minutes.
Watery eyes in most cases are nothing to be worried about but in some circumstances, it could be bothering and that is when you need to take care of it. Before going to the remedies you must clean the area and soak it with a warm compress which could be healing and at the same time soothing.
However, if the condition deteriorates in any way you must not wait and take action immediately. Consult a doctor and look for allopathic medicine that can cure it properly. Also if it is an allergy, you must look to solve the root cause and not the symptom as it could be worthless. Any known person with an allergy should stay away from the allergens as much as possible.