How can I make my mascara look more natural?
– Anonymous (answer requested via Quora)
To make mascara look more natural, there’s a few things you can do:
- Color – Choose a mascara color that more closely resembles your hair color. A shade darker is fine, but it’s not going to look natural if you have blonde hair and black mascara. Alternatively, you can choose a lash tint, likethis $4 one from ELF, to get the job done without looking unnatural.
- Technique – To make your mascara look more natural, you need to make sure you are coating the entire lashes. Think of it like hair dye: if you don’t color the roots, everyone can tell that your new color is not your natural color. Technique: Start with the brush as close to the base of your eyelashes as you can. Wiggle it gently into the lash line, to coat the base of your lashes; stroke upwards.
- Coats – Many people overcoat their lashes with mascara, making them look impossibly thick or making them appear clumpy and gross. To keep it natural, avoid any primers, choose a mascara that’s new (not expired), and definitely no fiber-mascaras. Then, only apply 2–3 coats of mascara to your lashes. Any clumps will be a dead giveaway.
- Bonus: Lash Curling. An important part of getting long, beautiful looking lashes is taking care of them, and that takes time and good product. But to get instantly longer-looking lashes every day, no matter where your lashes are at condition-wise, you need to curl them using proper technique. I dive into the right way to curl your lashes on this blog.
For more information on how to make your lashes look great using mascara, here’s an entire blog about making your lashes look voluminous – with or without mascara.
If you’re looking to get longer lashes before you apply mascara, feel free to check out my product WINK!
*This post was part of our Beauty Q&A series, where our founder Megan answers your beauty questions every Tuesday and Thursday on the blog. Submit your beauty question to [email protected]. Megan is also a top writer in the world for Eyelashes & Eyebrows via Quora. You may submit your questions there as well.