Healthy teeth are the sign of a lifetime of care. Even for the ones who have been blessed with the best set of teeth, maintaining them is crucial. Maintaining teeth means using the right products for oral care plus following a mindful schedule.
Apart from all the good habits that one follows, it is also crucial that regular visits to the dentist are done.
Tips For Healthy Teeth
Many work on their oral health for cosmetic reasons. When someone lays eyes on you the first thing observed is teeth. No matter how beautifully one is dressed, poorly maintained teeth snatch away the spark.
Here are some simple practices that can help to keep the teeth healthy:
- Brush Teeth Twice Daily- It is no secret, but a common practice to brush your teeth twice daily. First after waking up before one starts to eat anything and the second before going to bed at night. It is vital to brush your teeth before going to bed as it helps to get rid of germs and plaque that accumulate throughout the day. No wonder even the nursery rhymes also tell the kids to do the same from a young age.
- Brushing Properly- not only brushing twice daily is important but how we brush is also important. Brushing badly is as bad as not brushing. Take time to brush your teeth. Move the toothbrush in gentle, circular motions to remove plaque. If the plaque is not removed daily, it can harden, resulting in calculus buildup. It may seem like a small problem, but then, in the long run, it causes most oral diseases.
- Pay Attention To The Tongue- brushing teeth and maintaining good practice for teeth is important but the tongue is also crucial. Plaques can build up on the tongue also. This causes bad mouth odor. Moreover, it also leads to several other health problems. Brush the tongue very gently every time you brush your teeth.
- Use A Fluoride Toothpaste- one could become prey to the lucrative advertisements that are displayed to sell the toothpaste. However, it is significant to select a toothpaste based on its content. Any toothpaste that claims to whiten the teeth and has good flavor could damage the teeth. Rather select toothpaste that has fluoride in it. As recommended by dentists fluoride helps in fighting tooth decay. It works to fight the germs that could cause decay. Fluoride builds a protective layer on the teeth and prevents it from germs and cavities.
- Flossing and Brushing Both Are Equally Important- most people who brush twice daily often skip flossing. Flossing helps in getting out the small pieces of food that get stuck between the teeth. Thus, it prevents decay. Also, flossing is a great way to stimulate gums, reduce plaque, and reduce inflammation in the area.
- Flossing Tools Are A Game Changer- for adults or small children flossing is difficult. Even many feel that with a busy schedule, it is difficult to floss their teeth regularly. The market has several flossing tools that are a game changer. They help to floss the tooth with much ease. Even people with arthritis can use these tools.
- Using A Mouthwash- Similar to toothpaste using a good quality mouthwash is also important. Most people skip using mouthwash but then it is a big mistake. Mouthwash has three functions to perform in the oral care regime. It reduces the amount of acid in the mouth. It helps in cleaning those areas of the mouth where the brush is unable to reach. It works to remineralize teeth. Especially, in the case of older people and kids who are unable to floss using, mouthwash is of immense importance. Dentists often recommend the best mouthwash suitable for children and sensitive teeth.
- Stay Hydrated- not only for the overall health but for oral health staying hydrated is very important. Water is the best option to drink when health is at stake. It is important to drink water after meals so that if there is anything stuck between the teeth is washed out.
- Eat Crunchy Fruits And Vegetables- Ready-to-eat and processed food add convenience to life. However, they negatively affect heart health and oral health. Eating fresh, crunchy vegetables boosts oral health. Healthy fiber-filled vegetables and fruits are the best food options for the teeth. Consuming fruit juices or cutting the fruits into small pieces will not give the same benefits. Including seeds like sesame, melon, or flax in the diet is also an effective way to maintain healthy teeth.
- Say No To Sugary And Acidic Foods- sugar and acidic drinks damage the enamel of teeth. These acids lead to cavities. Even caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee wear down the tooth enamel. Further, they can harm the tissues in the mouth and this can result in physical and psychological disability. Thus one should avoid them. However, if missing these drinks is not possible, try rinsing the mouth after consuming them.
- Avoid The Use Of Sharp Objects or Nails To Clean Teeth- At times when something is stuck between the teeth, people tend to use their nails, keys, or other sharp objects to clean their teeth. It is a very unhealthy practice and can damage the tooth and gums. It could cause bleeding in the mouth which has serious consequences. Medical stores have specific tools that are meant for cleaning those tiny pieces of stuck food.
Maintaining good habits helps in the long run. However, it is vital to visit the dentist twice every year. These checkups can help diagnose any issue that has just started to erupt. Most times oral or gum disease indicates any underlying health issue therefore one should never take oral health lightly.
All things said and done, having healthy teeth helps enjoy life. Teeth help us taste, chew, and swallow delicious food. Moreover, having healthy teeth and gums helps have good facial expressions. Healthy teeth add significantly to our confidence and well-being. Therefore, stay focused and maintain healthy teeth.